North Mason School District's Health Services Department is strongly committed to student health and well-being. A child who is not healthy is unlikely to be alert, attentive, and ready to learn (NASN, 2002). A comprehensive school health program promotes student success. North Mason School District has1 full-time school nurse who provides nursing services in all of elementary and secondary schools. The nurse has completed a four-year bachelor's degree program in nursing, holds a current Registered Nurse license, and is required to have a Washington State Educational Staff Associate (ESA) School Nurse certificate. North Mason School District Nurses are also required to hold current First Aid and CPR cards. This comprehensive preparation is increasingly important as more and more students are attending school with severe and life-threatening medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes, and food allergies, injuries and birth defects. The School Nurse serves as the health professional for the school community and provides a variety of services that support student learning. The nurse provides direct services on a part time basis in most of our schools. Nursing services are available on an on call basis when the nurse is not at the school site.
Our Comprehensive School Health Program includes school health services, health education, and health promotion:
|School Health Services
- Preventative and early identification services including screening programs for vision and hearing
- Emergency care for illness and injuries and referral
- Management of acute and chronic health conditions
- Medication administration and monitoring
- Management and monitoring of communicable diseases
- Immunization compliance.
- Assistance and support of District Health Curriculum to facilitate student's development of health knowledge, attitudes, and skills
- Health information and referral resource support for school staff
- Partnering with parents and school community to promote prevention and wellness
- Supporting a healthy school environment which includes a safe physical and psychological environment